Senior Writer, Development
Date of Analysis: July 2019
Reports to: Director of Development
Status: Part-Time, Exempt
Other regular relationships:
- Development Associate
- Communications Manager
- Senior Program Officer
- Senior Director of Content and Engagement
- Executive Director
Immediate Subordinates: N/A
Overall Purpose of Job: Supports the work of PHC to increase the funding of the organization and its activities by developing and implementing a comprehensive strategy for fundraising communications and assisting with external relations and advocacy.
Essential Tasks/Specific Responsibilities:
- Leads the development, writing, and design of the donor newsletter and annual report, as well as solicitation campaigns.
- With the Development Director, develops a comprehensive calendar of funding opportunities for private and corporate foundations, as well as government agencies to support PHC’s priorities.
- Creates production timelines for donor campaigns, proposals, and reports that includes appropriate time for interdepartmental participation, review, and approval process.
- Provides stew regular written updates to corporate, foundation, and government donors and templates for individual donors.
- Researches and identifies foundation and government funding streams, and participates in prioritizing and planning for new funding opportunities.
- Conducts the research for and writing of a broad range of documents, including proposals, narrative reports, award nominations, appeal letters, and correspondence.
- Contributes to creation of social media fundraising campaigns and effective reports, fact sheets, development invitations, and other marketing, fundraising, and advocacy materials.
- Assists in researching and organizing meetings and site visits by funders and donors.
- Working collaboratively with PHC staff, especially the Directors of Development and Communications, assists with writing projects and external communications efforts as requested and edits/proofreads written by other staff members.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree.
- Minimum 5-7 years of experience with fundraising research and writing proposals, reports, and development communications.
- Experience with developing government relations and/or public policy materials a plus.
- Ability to organize, synthesize, and present complicated information from multiple sources and write compelling copy for communications and fundraising.
- Exceptional verbal communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills, with ability to set priorities and get the job done.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to work cooperatively in a team environment.
- Discretion when handling sensitive personal information about constituents.
- Works well independently and able to handle multiple assignments and shifting priorities in a deadline-oriented environment.
- Ability to work with internal and external constituents, and comfort dealing with a range of diverse audiences, including members of the general public.
- Passion for the humanities, and personal values consistent with PHC’s mission.
- Excellent computer skills, including Microsoft Office Suite.
Please email a resume and thoughtful cover letter, outlining how your skills and experiences meet the qualifications of the position addressed to email@example.com.
DOWNLOAD PDF: Senior Writer, Development Job Announcement