President Trump’s FY2019 budget request once again called for closure of the National Endowment for the Humanities along with eliminating, or cutting funding for, a large swath of federal cultural agencies.
Against the Trump administration’s proposal, the FY2019 budget bill passed by both the House of Representatives and the Senate provides funding for the NEH at $155 million -- an increase of $2 million over the agency's FY2018 funding level -- with $48.73 million for the Federal/State Partnership.
This overwhelmingly positive support is a direct result of strategic, consistent communication with members of Congress. THANK YOU to all who advocated on behalf of NEH and state humanities councils!
With core funding from NEH, PHC and other state humanities councils work to strengthen education and civic engagement for residents across the nation. We rely on public funding to do this vital work, and we are heartened by the support we’ve received from Congress but we cannot rest on our laurels. Continued advocacy is crucial!
What Can You Do?
- Call your elected officials in their Washington D.C. or local congressional offices, or both, and tell them how important humanities programs are to you and your community. Your statement doesn't need to be long, and you don't need to present a perfectly crafted argument. Simply describe how a humanities program transformed, inspired, or enlightened you, and be sure to thank the officials for the funding that made that program possible.
- Attend a member of Congress's town hall or other open meeting.
- Email the member if you are unable to place a call or attend a meeting.
- Write a letter to the editor of your local newspapers and magazines.
- Create a buzz on social media. Follow your elected officials, and tell them why humanities programming is important. Tag PHC on Facebook and Twitter.
- Provide PHC with stories, testimonials, recent press, and other materials that demonstrate the impact of the humanities in your community.
- Sign up for our Advocacy Alerts. At crucial points in the budget process, we will provide specific steps you can take to advocate for the humanities.
Thank you for your support. Please be sure to let us know what actions you have taken and what you have learned. With your help, we will keep the humanities in action and create positive change in Pennsylvania!