Part-Time Senior Writer--Development (22.5 hours)
PHC is seeking a part-time dynamic, seasoned writer to take our well-respected statewide organization to the next level with fundraising, communications, and government relations. Help us position the humanities as an effective tool for social change—and create a culture of philanthropy and expand visibility around programs and activities that impact individuals and communities across Pennsylvania.
The Senior Writer supports the work of PHC to increase the funding and visibility of the organization, its programs and advocacy efforts. Reporting to the Development Director and working closely with the Communications Director, this individual will compel giving and expand visibility by telling the story of PHC’s mission and impact. The position requires strategic thinking, collaboration, and a combination of finely honed development and communications skills --from writing high-quality, compelling proposals, to imaginative storytelling on a wide range of subjects for our website, to translating research into relatable content for development audiences. This is a tremendous opportunity for a fund development professional looking to join a highly regarded and growing organization on a permanent part-time basis, and to have a significant and meaningful impact on the lives of people and communities PHC serves.
Researches and writes a broad range of documents, including proposals, narrative reports, articles for website and donor newsletter, award nominations, and appeal letters.
Contributes to creation of effective newsletters, reports, fact sheets, development invitations, and other marketing, fundraising, and advocacy materials.
Working collaboratively with PHC staff, especially the Directors of Development and Communications, assists with writing projects as requested and edits/proofreads written by other staff members.
- Bachelor’s Degree.
- Minimum 5-7 years of experience writing development communications, government relations, and/or public policy materials.
- Ability to synthesize information from multiple sources and write copy for communications and fundraising.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Discretion when handling sensitive personal information about constituents.
- Ability to handle multiple assignments in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment.
- Ability to work with internal and external constituents, and comfort dealing with diverse audiences, including members of the general public.
- Excellent computer skills, including Microsoft Office Suite.
Please email a resume, two (2) writing samples and a thoughtful cover letter outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position addressed to DevelopmentSearch@pahumanities.org .